Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Release Of American Journalists From North Korean Custody

Hey everyone, it is I again, bringing good news: the two American journalists, Euna Lee and Laura Ling, who were arrested by North Korean authorities on March 17 of this year, have finally been released following negotiations between former president Bill Clinton and Kim Jong Il himself, I believe. Well, I must admit, I am very very pleased with this turn of events. However, I have to complain just a bit here. I wonder why on Earth did it take so long? We have had these two extremely brave women locked up for, what, five, almost six months now in some North Korean detention facility, and they are only now being pardoned? Correct me if I'm wrong, as my memory has a tendency to be rather swiss-cheesy, but I can only remember hearing a big to-do about this whole affair for the three weeks or so following the initial incarceration. After that, it seems like these women were left on their own, to fend for themselves. Why did it take us so long? Why did two innocent women have to wait almost half a year for rescue? I'll admit, United States relations with North Korea  have been rather tense lately, but shouldn't we at least have heard more about these women? Shouldn't there have been some sort of "Free the Americans!" rally or fund or something? 
I don't know. I'm not the United States government. I'm pleased that this situation has been resolved, but I have to ask: Why did it take so long?

Here's the story if you want to check it out. 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090804/ap_on_re_as/as_nkorea_journalists_held


No comments: